TERMS OF REFERENCE: PROJECTS COORDINATOR
Position Title: Projects Coordinator
Reporting to: Program, Policy and Business Development Lead
Supervises: Project Officers
Location: Kigali, Rwanda, with frequent travel to Project Implementation Areas
Contract Length: Three years fixed term contract
Start Date: October 2023
ABOUT ACTIONAID RWANDA
ActionAid Rwanda (AAR) is a local non-governmental organization and an Affiliate Member of the ActionAid Global Federation, an Anti-Poverty Agency. Registered in Rwanda, AAR works with people living in poverty, focusing on eradicating poverty and injustice among women and girls. Actionaid is a global justice federation, our goal is to achieve social justice, gender equality, and poverty eradication. We support the most vulnerable individuals in Rwanda, helping them access rights to essentials such as food, shelter, work, education, and healthcare. We also strive to empower them in decision-making processes that impact their lives.
AAR empowers marginalized individuals, particularly women, to assert their rights and address structural causes of poverty and injustice. Guided by feminist leadership and human rights-based principles, we work towards shifting power dynamics, promoting empowerment, solidarity, and advocacy. Our emphasis on the leadership of women and marginalized youth is central to our pursuit of social justice, gender equality, and poverty eradication.
ActionAid Rwanda seeks a Projects Coordinator to oversee the implementation of a three-year grant aimed at improving food security and boosting farm income for women smallholder farmers in Rwanda under the Improving Food Security and Boosting Farm Income for Women Smallholder Farmers in Rwanda (IFS) ActionAid Rwanda Remera, Behind Amahoro National Stadium airport side next to RSSB Building
Project. The grant covers sectors such as women's economic empowerment, food security, women's rights promotion, and influencing commitments for the National Gender Policy's implementation. As a member of the Country Programs Team, the Grant Coordinator will contribute to the organization's grant acquisition strategy. They will ensure the grant's implementation adheres to donor guidelines, develop strategies, establish metrics to monitor compliance, and manage responses to management audits related to the grant.
The successful candidate will be directly responsible for efficient and effective day-to-day project implementation, ensuring alignment with the project plan and successful outcomes. They will lead the planning, coordination, oversight, and monitoring of project activities, while providing financial, logistical, procurement, human resources, management, and security support. Reporting to the Programme, Policy, and Business Development Lead and supported by various
teams, the Grant Coordinator will manage partnerships and implement activities within the project's framework and designated areas. This involves engagement with implementing partners, NGOs, government bodies, and women's rights organizations to ensure efficient project governance. They will also facilitate project cycle management processes, ensuring compliance, donor reporting, and monitoring and evaluation requirements.
Project Planning and Implementation:
• Collaborate with project managers to develop detailed project plans, including tasks, timelines, resources, and dependencies.
• Define project scopes, objectives, and success criteria, while identifying and addressing potential risks.
• Develop a detailed project work plan in collaboration with Project Officers,
ensuring timely and effective implementation of activities aligned with objectives.
• Provide comprehensive guidance for sound project cycle management, coordinating key project staff across various levels.
• Coordinate with implementing partners, project rights-holders, and stakeholders to ensure high-quality, accountable project implementation.
• Coordinate community engagement, sensitization efforts, and communication materials on women's rights.
• Support training and capacity-building processes, applying ActionAid methodologies.
• Engage in campaigns and public events, advancing organizational campaign objectives.
• Provide oversight for the implementation of other projects as requested.
Coordination and Communication:
• Facilitate communication among project team members, stakeholders, and management.
• Organize and lead project meetings, documenting discussions, decisions, and action items.
• Ensure relevant parties are informed about project progress, changes, and updates.
• Ensure donor compliance and regular project reporting (Narrative and Financial).
• Support implementation partners, organizing sensitization and communications materials.
• Manage visits from donor representatives and stakeholders.
• Lead project review meetings and provide input for regular updates.
Task Tracking and Monitoring:
• Track project tasks, milestones, and deliverables to ensure timely completion.
• Identify deviations from the project plan and address them with project managers.
• Ensure all project components adhere to plans, meeting goals and objectives.
• Conduct monitoring to measure progress and analyze intervention success.
• Ensure project field officers execute activities according to plans, addressing delays and constraints.
• Participate in post-project reviews to evaluate performance and improvement opportunities.
• Contribute to writing, reviewing, and editing proposal narratives, donor reports, and development documents.
• Maintain accurate project documentation, including plans, status reports, and records.
• Collaborate with Programme, Policy, and Business Development Lead for bi-weekly reports
• Compile lessons learned and best practices for future projects.
Budget and Cost Control:
• Work with Finance Lead to develop financial management and budget monitoring tools.
• Review detailed transactions and budget versus actual spending.
• Identify potential cost-saving opportunities.
• Maintain project quality standards and adhere to established processes.
• Collaborate with the quality assurance team to ensure project deliverables meet standards.
• Support Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL) activities.
• Contribute to risk identification and propose mitigation strategies.
• Escalate high-impact risks to project managers and stakeholders.
• Ensure high-quality, compliant donor reports, submitting to the Programme, Policy, and Business Development Lead.
• Prepare regular project status reports and presentations for various audiences.
• Provide data-driven insights for decision-making and project improvement.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
This role requires a proactive, dynamic individual with strong project cycle and grant management skills. The ideal candidate is comfortable working in a demanding environment and can provide meaningful contributions. Effective communication skills, team collaboration, and adaptability are essential.
• Minimum of five years' progressive professional experience in managing humanitarian/development programming.
• At least three years' experience managing related projects/programs.
• Minimum three years' experience managing women's economic empowerment, food security, women's rights promotion, and influencing commitments for the National Gender Policy's implementation projects/programs.
• Experience with institutional donor-funded projects, including advocacy work.
• Familiarity with US Government, EU, ECHO/EC, UKAID, or UN grants.
• Strong report writing and data analysis skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Kinyarwanda.
• Effective communication with diverse partners.
• Leadership, interpersonal, and participatory development skills.
• Independent task management and organization abilities.
Master's degree with three years' experience or Bachelor's degree with five years' experience in Social Sciences, Agriculture, or related field.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates fill this form no later than 8th September 2023 @ 5PM. Indicate in the subject line: Projects Coordinator”. NB: Applications which are not in the required application forms will not be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
ActionAid is an equal opportunity employer and candidates will be expected to embody ActionAid’s values and adhere to organization policies especially Sexual Harassment Exploitation and Abuse policies and Child Protection Policy.
The assignment is anticipated from 01st October 2023. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Apply at this link